Where are you?

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Slice of Life 6: The Camera

"Mom, can I change these batteries?" I ask. I am holding a white video camera. I don't know if it will work for my Short Story Film, and I don't know what videos I will find on it.
"Sure," she replies absentmindedly. I walk into the kitchen and grab the plastic container filled with batteries of all shapes and sizes.
After fixing the camera, I press the small power button and wait. To my surprise, the screen flickers on. I press all of the buttons, and figure out after some effort how to film a video. I then click the arrow button, which directs me to a short video. I press play, not really caring what I find.
In the video, I am only about 5 years old. There is a lot of yelling, and I make out the words "...noah's birthday...birthday cake...three years old!" Noah's face appears on the screen. Noah is my younger brother, and in the video he has two missing teeth. It is adorable!
I scroll through video after video. Most of them are just minutes of blackness, videos taken by accident, but a rare few actually seem important. I remember taking these videos with my 3 year old brother. I can barely believe that this camera actually hasn't been turned on in almost 5 years, according to the small date at the top of the most recent video. I wonder if, in 5 years, I will see these  videos again.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I liked that, it was really descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really interesting SOL, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting topic for a slice of life, I like it!

    ReplyDelete