Where are you?

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Kindred by Octavia Butler

My book group book for the last few weeks was Kindred. Kindred is about a 26 year old African American woman named Dana who time travels to the past to save a young boy named Rufus. Over time she travels back as Rufus gets older, but she is still 26. Rufus lives in the 1800s, in a time of slavery, and Dana lives in 1976. Kindred is sad and pretty graphic in some parts, but the plot and the writing are all super poetic and good. I would definitely recommend Kindred if you are interested in books about slavery, but I wouldn't describe this book as a time travel themed book.

2 comments:

  1. That was a good review. (I don't know what else to call it. "Post," maybe?) I am not sure if I will like the book though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this book and wanted to read it, but it seems sort of hard to read, especially when you have to talk about it, because this book sounds like a, 'Read until I have to stop!" I liked you post.

    ReplyDelete